Background

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Getting Shots

I've long heard the stories of how painful it is for parents to have to hold their babies while doctors and nurses poke them with needles, so I certainly can't really complain about what it was like to watch Daisy Mae get a shot of vaccine -- but I also had no idea it would be such an ordeal.  I naively assumed that cattle had tough, thick hides, and since Sydney (my dog) doesn't react much, if at all, to needles, that Daisy wouldn't notice either.  However, as John pointed out, Sydney's not that difficult to hold at 40 pounds.  I also realized that tough, thick skin doesn't necessarily mean less sensitive and may in fact mean more difficult to puncture.

Long story short, Daisy's fine, and she got the shot that will keep her healthy once she gets pregnant.  We should have tied her up before even trying the first time, but after John fed her halter through the bumper of one of his old pick-ups, it made everything a lot easier.  And with the exception of the oxidized auto paint she rubbed onto her face, Daisy survived without much of a mark.  She's now one step closer to being ready for motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment