Background

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Patty

My last posting was about a calf whose defects at birth meant that he didn't live long. I've also "met" one who owes her life to a bit of luck and timing. Patty (as in hamburger patty I'm told) is a Holstein whose mom was on her way to a "kill plant," which is exactly what it sounds like. I have no idea of the details, but just before Patty's mom was loaded on the truck, she gave birth. Fortunately, the truck driver passed her along to our friends who are willing to raise her. I'm not sure what her ultimate destiny will be, but it's been fun to watch her in the meantime.

While Patty may have been on her own in the world, she seems to have a fair amount going for her. First of all, she's rather cute, and I love it when John calls her the "magpie," which I'm assuming is a little bit of slang for the black and white look of a Holstein. While our neighbors were doing their part to keep her fed, she's now got an adopted mom. Another calf had been born, but he had particularly debilitating defects, and I'm not even positive if he was born alive. His bad fortune led to an opportunity for Patty. Now, if ranchers need to make a mom accept a new calf, they have a couple of options. They can put a chemical smelling substance on the back of the calf that prevents the mom from determining that it's not her own. However, the preferred alternative is to be able to dress the calf in the dead calf's hide. I've asked John a few questions about the process, as I always do, and he patiently explained it to me. Usually, the dead calf is skinned immediately, and he says that if it is done correctly, it is virtually bloodless. I also asked how they keep the hide on the animal that inherits it -- because I can't imagine that it is a feeling it thoroughly enjoys. But I am fascinated to know that the rancher cuts holes in the hide, as necessary, and puts it on the new calf the way you'd put a sweater on a dog. (It can also be tied on with twine I guess.)

We saw Patty with her new mom this morning, and her mom seems to have no idea that the calf she gave birth to is not the magpie she's now protecting and feeding, so everyone's happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment