Background

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Royal Couple

I have a lot to catch up on suddenly, so I'm going to try to cover everything without taking too much time or space.

For the last four summers, we have gone to the Carbon County Fair.  It is a great opportunity for John, as a local business owner, to support the kids.  Every year, he's bought a variety of critters -- we've always bought at least one pig to butcher, and he's usually bought a steer, a lamb, and even additional pigs, all of which he then resells.  This year was a first, however.  At the end of the day, he'd bought the usual pig and steer, but the prize of the day was a Buff Brahma Cockerel.  Fortunately, the father of the girl who owned the chicken threw in a hen to make it a pair.  Meet our newest chickens:




These chickens are bantam-sized, so we're guessing they are full-grown and know they will end up smaller than any of the others.  Not only are they beautiful, but they are also older than our others, which means two things:

1.  Eggs - We got our first on Sunday and another yesterday!!


and

2.  A good morning rooster welcome:



I haven't named them yet, but I plan to.  (Don't tell John.  He once suggested that I not get too attached to any of the chickens in case they ended up living elsewhere or succumbed to any of the maladies or predators that endanger the lives of chickens.  I just assured him that I'd name them after characters in Shakespeare's tragedies so that I wouldn't have unrealistic expectations.  These two could be Hamlet and Ophelia . . . )

Brahma chickens are feather-footed, which ends up looking just like it sounds.  I cannot decide if they have ugly feet or if they are absolutely fabulous.  What do you think?


At first I wasn't thrilled that we'd ended up with a third rooster since we were already trying to get rid of the first two, but this one is really cool!  (Since then, we've also found a good home for the other two.)  And I love the sound of a rooster crowing in the morning, especially since he doesn't crow until he's let out . . . by me . . . after I'm already awake and ready for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment