Background

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Really Fun Daisy Update

The days are getting longer and the wait is getting shorter!

As most of you know, John was in Iowa this past week.  He had a great time, despite catching a cold and having to endure a bit of rainy gray spring weather.  I'm just really glad that he got to spend time with his family, and if it weren't for my busy schedule, I'd have loved to go with him.

Anyway . . . I've been a bit nervous about having him gone since Daisy is so close to her estimated due date, but we made it.  Nevertheless, she gave me a bit of a scare a couple times this week.  First, we had a very significant snow storm last Tuesday night, and Wednesday morning her udder had gone from little-girl-in-a-training-bra heifer udder to quite-the-young-woman, nearly-a-cow udder.  I asked our neighbors to stop by and check her out for me, but Sheila assured me that we still had a ways to go.  Then yesterday morning I saw what I thought might be the mucus plug, which would mean that calving is much more imminent.  I moved her into a round pen that is visible from our kitchen window so that she would be easier to see just in case.  Nothing had changed by the time I got home, so I turned her back out into the yard.

It's now Saturday night, and while I cannot say when the baby will come OUT, I definitely know it is IN there.  I've been trying to feel it for months, but I'd never been able to.  This morning, however, I not only felt it moving, but I also saw it moving!  It was so amazing! Any doubts that I had about whether she was actually pregnant have disappeared.  So, here's a short video in which I think you'll be able to see it moving, too.  What you'll want to watch is the spot below my hand when I rub her side.  It will look as though a rather large welt appeals, and then a few moments later it seems to melt back into her side.  It's clearest at about the 34 second mark.  John thinks I'm crazy, and I'm pretty sure he thinks all of the movement is just Daisy breathing, but those of you who have felt a human baby moving in a pregnant woman's belly will know that it's pretty easy to tell the difference.  (John also admitted that he's never had the opportunity to "pet" a pregnant cow this way.)


Stay tuned for more updates as this is sure to be an exciting week!

No comments:

Post a Comment